Hike with baby. - Acura ILX Forums – ILX Club

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Hike with baby.

My son is 1 year old and we plan to take him on a hike for 2 days. We will be by car and close to the city. What do we need to take with us and how to plan our trip correctly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:31 AM

I never went camping with such small children. I went on my first trip at 7, my nephews were 5 years old when we first went to the lake. We were far from home and lived in tents for 4 days. Now they are 7 years old and they just love hiking. Our first rule is to take as many warm things as possible, because if it rains, children catch a cold very quickly. Each of the nephews takes with him his camping utensils, a sleeping bag from them one for two, they carry it in turns. We have a rule that everyone carries his snacks (so that they don't overwhelm my or their father's backpack of their chips). For this Christmas, I chose them two different thermos, but they are both very comfortable and of high quality, I read about the pros and cons of each here https://bestvacuumflask.com/best-thermos-for-kids/ . I teach them to autonomy, but I think that you should capture more thermoses, bottles and nipples, because you will have problems to permanently sterilize these items. You need to think about how you will feed the baby, how you will wash the baby. I would not advise at this age to bathe a child in the lake, young children have not yet developed immunity, so they often get sick.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:59 AM

The Diaper Bag + Carry On Packing List
Diapers
Wipes
Baby Carrier – see the gear list below for faves
Extra Clothes – for everyone, mom & dad include — babies blow out, enough said (this was a bigger problem 4-7 months, after which it pretty much stopped)
Extra Sling – we use a more structured carrier but carry a cloth sling like a Solly Wrap as a back up (in case of blow out emergency) because it’s compact.
“Toys” – something amusing for baby, we usually carried a *very* few items that we knew would amuse her and used found objects as the rest (can’t get away with pretending trash is a toy forever, so might as well while you can!)
Blanket – handy to cover them up when sleeping on long haul flights or to give them a spot to sit on the floor (I don’t recommend a sleep sack for this because it can be tricky to get them in it once asleep on a plane)
Snacks – For older babies that have started solids. Fruit, yogurt, bars, all good. I never thought I’d be a pouch carrying mom, but the organic food pouches that have nothing in them but actual food and a bit off water are amazing for travel. And if they are over the 100 mL limit, security usually makes an exception for baby food. I love the brand Smowl, but I don’t know if you can get it in the states. You can probably order them online. They make baby smoothies in pouches with coconut milk, quinoa, fruit. She loves them.
Pacifier & pacifier clip + back up
Zip locks bags/trash bag – for dirty diapers and soiled clothing
Dedicated Changing Blanket – we like the Solly swaddling blankets for this as they fold up really compact though something fluffier would probably be more comfortable/absorbent.
Hand Sanitizer/Disinfecting Wipes – I like the ones that smell like lavender! But anything will do.
Stroller – optional We didn’t often take one when she was small but we use it more the older she gets. My recommendation is below on the gear list.
Carseat – optional – I would only bring this if I had to, and so far I haven’t had to, so I’ve never traveled with one. When she is older and in her own seat, we might. Whatever you do, make sure your car seat clips into your stroller. The last thing you want to do is haul a car seat around by hand. Just no. There are many adapters available that make many car seat/stroller combos compatible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura ILX Forums – ILX Club forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page